Saturday, June 18, 2011

San Diego County Fair - Plant Envy!

I went to the San Diego County Fair today and visited their "Farm" section, where they planted a bunch of crops and also had some educational exhibits on composting and vermicomposting.  I had such plant envy as I looked at all the bountiful vegetables that they were growing and at how huge all their crops were!

Herb Garden


Sunflowers

Gourds

Corn

Sweet Peas

Raised Bed for Herbs

Tomato Garden 





All of their tomato plants were at least 4 feet high!



Giant Cabbages


Carrots

Radishes - Looks like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon!

I also learned about vermicomposting, or composting with worms.  There are several ways to do it, but the most common is with a worm bin.  I've always been reluctant to try this out because commercial worm bins on the market typically cost anywhere from $80-$100, plus another $20+ for worms.  Seemed to be too big of an investment for just trying something out.  But I learned today that I could make my own bin for less than $10!  Here are the instructions that I got from the exhibit:


I also met a nice lady who does her own worm composting and she made it sound so easy! So I'm going to go to WalMart and get some plastic bins and build my own! More on this next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment