Friday, April 16, 2010

Plant Progress Report #1

My plan is to have weekly progress reports, to show how much my plants are growing, especially since the weather is really warming up and things are starting to grow like crazy!

NEW PLANT!
My parents gave me this little loquat tree that they grew from a seed! I love loquat fruits, and I really hope this one grows!!




TOMATOES


All the tomato plants in my garden were grown from seeds that would have otherwise been discarded after cooking. I have found that tomatoes are some of the easiest plants to grow. I have more tomato seedlings than I know what to do with, so an idea that I came up with was a braided tomato "tree." I took three tomato plants (I have no idea what varieties they are) and braided their stalks together. We'll see how these turn out. I'm hoping that I'll end up with a bush that will produce three types of tomatoes! We'll see!



The behemoth tomato plant below sprouted from some baby heirloom tomatoes that I bought from Trader Joe's. I've had this plan for almost a year now, and it just keeps on growing!! I'm also finally starting to get tomatoes too-- golden ones! These are some of the tastiest tomatoes I've ever had. Any ideas on what this variety is??



CONTAINER GARDEN


I'm starting a little container section on my patio. My mom gave me some tong ho, which is a Chinese lettuce (tastes sort of like watercress, but slightly spicier) and cilantro, which I transplanted to the large container. More tomato plants (again, no idea what kind they are) on the right, and strawberries in the small one. I'm hoping to grow more herbs in this section.




SIDE YARD EDIBLES

My chayote plant (L) is growing pretty well, and flowers are starting to appear on my bell peppers (R).



My dwarf sugar snap peas:



Cucumbers seedlings are starting to sprout!




LEMON TREE
Look! Flowers! And a good number of them! Hope that means I'll have fruits this year!!



SIDE YARD

The bulbs are really starting to grow, but no flowers yet. My poppies and snapdragons are becoming stronger looking. The Alyssum is also starting to bloom. It was looking a little sickly when I first transplanted them, but they're definitely starting to take!



Views from both sides of the garden:


Succulents:





0 comments:

Post a Comment